- Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance Foundation
In the Eastern Regional Office (Champaign). The AmeriCorps VLC Fellow will:
- Provide high quality direct representation to financially eligible clients on issues including landlord tenant matters, home foreclosures, problems with health and disability benefits, child support and other family law matters, consumer and medical debt, legal matters related to financial planning, drivers’ license reinstatement, and expungement/sealing of criminal records issues. (65%) Target populations will include:
- Veterans who are patients of the Illiana Healthcare System, the area VA Hospital and clinic system;
- Veterans who are homeless or who are at risk of becoming homeless;
- Veterans who live within our 16 county catchment area and qualify for our legal services; and
- Families of Veterans.
- Work with community partner agencies, including case management staff at the VA hospitals, VA clinics, and Veterans’ Service Organizations in the area to create protocols and facilitate referrals. (10%)
- Develop materials to publicize the project to many audiences. (10%)
- Deliver “Ask a Lawyer” presentations at Veteran outreach events on legal topics of broad appeal and create educational materials to be shared with host staff statewide. (10%)
- Refer cases to the externship supervisor for assignment to Americorps*JD and law student externs. Work with Americorps*JD and law student externs on various projects. (5%)
- Other administrative tasks related to AmeriCorps and Equal Justice Works program compliance. (5%)
The Fellow will have to have excellent oral and written communication skills, and interpersonal, organizational and negotiation skills and the ability to work as a team member. Demonstrated commitment to public interest work and strong desire to assist indigent clients ideal. Prior experience in managing independent projects or assignments desired. Knowledge of veterans’ benefits law and/or experience with veterans and military families preferred. Military service or related-military background, including status as a military dependent encouraged. Diverse economic, social and cultural experiences and a second language are preferred. The Fellow must be admitted to practice law in Illinois.
Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, or veteran status.